Cultural Abstraction

Monday, April 5, 2010

NCAA Championship

March Madness has made way to the final four, and now, the NCAA final. I am not a sports fanatic and I do not understand the hype. I do understand however that some are passionate about sports whether watching or playing. Along the way, I imagine the disappointment that filled people as their chosen team lost or their University’s team made it close but by a few points were out of the tournament. In a snap, a team is gone or a team has advanced. So many feelings are experienced in the course of a game; there is excitement, anticipation, and dread.
The truth is, it is just a game and basketball is a sport. Unless you are playing and it is your career, it is not the center of your life, but I cannot help but observe that many place its importance above all else. They alter their schedules and their responsibilities become secondary as people obsessively track scores and tune into the game. Everything that was once a priority now rides in the backseat. Yes, many idolize the sport, and any sport for that manner. Players are treated like gods and teams are worshipped as they become a part of one’s daily life. While the talents of these men are incredible and important to many, there are many others that deserve this amount of respect and often remain disregarded. Being a college student, I should involve myself in the spirit, but I avoid being consumed by the game. I will not be found calling off prior commitments because my own desire to watch a game has surpassed my concern for others’ time…this is just inconsiderate. I will not allow what happens in a sport to impact my life.
NCAA basketball players and other sport members devote some of their time doing something they love and are given preferential treatment because they draw in a school’s revenue. What about the many students that work hard and give the school a great reputation? That does not seem to matter until it comes time for recruitment and one is billed for tuition. They too bring in money…yes, not as much, but they also do not require as many costs. They are there to care about their education and future recognizing that they will not (most likely) have people around to take care of them every step of the way. Of course, not every athlete takes advantage of their position, but the fame they are offered can sometimes get to everyone’s head. When we put the game above the welfare or mental well being of others, the sport has surpassed passion and one should stand back and examine things.

No comments:

Post a Comment